The procedure for obtaining a professional licence through the Department of Economic Development is similar to the process of obtaining a commercial or industrial licence. A professional company, also known as a civil company, can be 100% foreign owned, although a local service agent will need to be appointed to take care of official procedures within various government ministries.
The process begins with the trade name application and approval, followed by the initial approval. Like the process of obtaining a commercial licence, you will need to secure an appropriate office location before the procedure can be completed.
Professional licences are awarded to skilled professionals, therefore it is necessary to obtain external approval from a corresponding government ministry before the licence can be processed.
First: Documents required for Initial Approval
- Registration and licensing application, as well as proof of reserved trade name.
Photocopy of applicant’s passport (together with residence permit / visa details for non-GCC states nationals).
- Photocopy of applicant’s naturalization identification for UAE nationals only.
- No-objection letter from the applicant’s current sponsor for non GCC nationals.
- Photocopy of the director’s passport, and no-objection letter from the director’s current sponsor.
- Permission from the court to practice business, for applicants under 21 years.
- Approval issued by other Government authorities according to the type of activity.
Second: Documents required after getting the Initial Approval
- Initial Approval receipt
- All documents submitted before in order to get the Initial Approval.
- Photocopy of office lease including the plot number.
- Contract of Professional Business Company duly authenticated by the Notary Public in the Emirate, Contract of Civil Works Company.
- Appointment contract of Local Services Agent duly authenticated by the Notary Public in the Emirate for professional licenses of non GCC nationals